When to Renew Your Registration
The expiration date is the birthday of the first person listed on the title.
Renew On Time
Not receiving a renewal notice does not relieve the registered owner from the obligation to renew the vehicle’s registration by the due date. Penalties will not be waived because the owner did not receive a renewal notice. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770.531.6950 for a copy of the renewal notice or to receive total amount due.
To ensure timely processing and to avoid penalties, carefully read the renewal notice and the enclosed insert for instructions and additional information. If a renewal is submitted without all the required information, it will be returned to the owner and tax/tag penalties will be applied.
Any paperwork, license plates or renewal decals processed in a Hall tag office can only be returned to the registered owner of the vehicle or a family member with valid government-issued identification showing the same last name and/or same address as the registered owner or granted power of attorney.
To ensure you receive your annual renewal notice, GO GREEN and receive your notice electronically into your email inbox.
We offer 6 ways to renew your registration:
- Online – The GA Dept. of Revenue e-Services offers easy renewals and other services.
- Renewal By Mail – Complete the requested information on the renewal notice and remit payment by check or by completing the credit card section on the remittance. If the amount due is not listed on your renewal notice, please call 770.531.6950 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include the tag number. Mail renewal using the return envelope or addressing an envelope to Hall County Tax Commissioner | P O Box 1579 | Gainesville GA, 30503.
- Drive-Up Drop Box – Or return your renewal notice and payment to the drop box located conveniently across from the front doors at the Government Center, under the breezeway at 2875 Browns Bridge Road | Gainesville, GA 30504.
- Call Center – If you have questions or require assistance completing your renewal, or if the amount due is not listed on your renewal notice, please call 770.531.6950.
- Self Service Tag Renewal Kiosks – Located in the check-out area of participating Kroger Stores during store hours. Tag kiosks accept Credit & Debit Card only. Please see current Hall County locations below.
New Holland Marketplace Kroger
1931 Jesse Jewell Pkwy,
Gainesville, GA 30501
Clearwater Crossing Kroger
7380 Spout Springs Rd,
Flowery Branch, GA 30542
- In-Person: Limited in-person assistance is available for tag renewals during the gaps between scheduled appointments for our other in-person services.
Cancel a Tag / Registration Kiosk
Vehicle owners can cancel a vehicle’s registration if it no longer belongs to you, is not being driven, or is no longer operable. Cancel the insurance coverage for your vehicle after you cancel your vehicle registration.
Ways to Cancel a Tag / Registration:
- Quickly cancel your registration online at eservices.drives.gov
Submit a completed Application of Voluntary Registration Cancellation.
- Text us at 833.602.8497
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail – Hall County Tax Commissioner | PO Box 1579 | Gainesville, GA 30503
- In Person Via Our Drive-up Drop Box – Located outside the Hall County Government Center – 2875 Browns Bridge Rd | Gainesville GA 30504
Alternative Fuel & Heavy Vehicle Impact Fees
- Georgia law requires additional fees for alternative fuel vehicles. More information
- Georgia law requires additional highway impact fees for all vehicles over 15,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating. More information
Transfer a Tag
You may be able to transfer your valid Georgia tag from a vehicle you no longer own to a newly-purchased or newly-acquired vehicle. This must be done at the county in which you physically reside.
The following are required to transfer a tag:
- The title must be applied for on the new vehicle.
- The first owner listed on the title must be the same for both vehicles unless the tag being transferred is a specialty or prestige tag. If it is a specialty or prestige tag and the first registered owner is not the same, the tag must be relinquished. Complete a relinquishment form and submit at the time of transfer.
- Current Georgia certificate of registration for the tag being transferred.
- Valid Georgia Insurance coverage
- Valid Georgia driver’s license or Georgia ID card reflecting the current Hall County address.
- FEES:$5 tag transfer fee (if the tag is current)
- $20 tag fee (plus special tag fees, if applicable) when transferring your plate during your registration period
- Ad valorem tax, if applicable
Please Note: Not all tags are transferable. To transfer a tag, both vehicles must require the same tag classification. For example, you cannot transfer a tag from your trailer to your car. If you are unsure, whether or not your tag can be transferred to your new vehicle you may contact our office at 770.531.6950.
Any paperwork, license plates or renewal decals processed in a Hall County Tag office can only be returned to the registered owner of the vehicle or a family member with valid government-issued identification showing the same last name and/or same address as the registered owner.
GET A DUPLICATE REGISTRATION
There are two ways to get a duplicate of your vehicle registration:
Visit the Georgia DOR’s Online Service Center and select ‘Replace Vehicle Registration.’ A copy of your registration will be emailed to you. This service is free.
Visit our office at the Hall County Government Center with your valid driver’s license. The charge for a duplicate registration is $1.
Any paperwork, license plates or renewal decals processed in a Hall County tag office can only be returned to the registered owner of the vehicle or a family member with valid government-issued identification showing the same last name and/or same address as the registered owner.
TITLE TAX DUE
Determine Title Tax Due
Effective March 1, 2013, sales tax and the annual ad valorem tax were removed on newly-purchased vehicles and replaced with a one-time title tax (TAVT).
- Visit the Georgia Department of Revenue website for the title tax calculator.
- You can also contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at email@example.com or 770.531.6950 during business hours (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., excluding holidays) with the vehicle identification number, and we can calculate an estimate of taxes due.
AD VALOREM TAX DUE
Determine Ad Valorem Tax Due
Any vehicle purchased before March 1, 2013 were kept under the annual ad valorem tax. For online vehicle valuation and estimated ad valorem tax information, visit the Georgia DRIVES e-Services website.
- You may contact Hall County Tax Commissioner’s Office with your vehicle identification number (VIN) and current address, and we can calculate an estimate of taxes due.
- You may also email your VIN and current address to firstname.lastname@example.org to get an estimate.
Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk Kiosk